Swansea Anglican Church, St Peters, was the first to be built on the eastern side of Lake Macquarie.
In 1856 Bishop William Tyrell visited Galgabba (meaning: a nice place to live). He gave a doll to a little girl who knew her prayers. She was Elizabeth Ellen Boyd, daughter of early settlers Thomas and Eliza Boyd; who became grandmother of Louise Boon, writer and collator of local history.
At first people worshipped in the Public School, and Rev Tollis made periodic visits from Wallsend via a lake steamer from Cockle Creek. Frederica Josephson generously gave one acre of her property to the church, between Main Rd and Josephson St. to build a permanent venue.
The original church building dates back to 1884, and fronted Main Rd (now the site of Ampol). It was of Gothic design, 40 x 20 feet, constructed with weatherboards and a shingle roof. It was dedicated on Easter Sunday 1884. The first wedding was held later that year in September and was a double ceremony.
By 1958 a new St Peter’s Church was built and the ”old church” moved to the left rear of the “new church”, where it served as a hall
The original church has recently been restored into a beautiful chapel. It is now a feature in the community hub developed in the re-purposed rectory and grounds – ARTea’s Gallery and Garden on Josephson St.